Sunday, December 18, 2011

I need to start off by apologizing for the gap in my updates. Life has been rather insane of late, with multiple family crises, preparing to move and take a new job, and the usual stresses. Fortunately, I have not been fading away, as I have gained an additional 10lb since starting this blog. I'm hopeful that 350lb will be staring back up at me from the scale by spring.

One new development which can be a bit dicey is a change in my balance. Over the last year, I have noticed that my extra weight has made it much more difficult for me to stand on one foot. While you might ask what would I need to stand on one foot for, you'd be surprised about what is required. In addition to putting on socks (which are awkward regardless due to the size of my abdomen), cleaning your feet in the shower and putting on pants require some balancing. I haven't yet figured out a workaround on this yet. My center of gravity is clearly different, and the weight over my one foot on the ground requires much more control to stay vertical.

I have also noticed that running down stairs has become a treacherous experience. It used to be easy to fly down stairs taking each step very quickly. Now, I find my momentum carries me faster than my feet are going, and I always feel like I'm about to tumble down the stairs. Fortunately, this hasn't happened yet, but it does make me go more slowly. I think once again this is due to my shift in center of gravity forward due to the huge gut protruding out in front of me. If my butt were bigger, I don't think this would be as much of a problem. However, I'm not complaining.




1 comment:

  1. Regarding balance - The easiest solution I've found for those problems is sitting down to do them, or finding something to lean against if sitting down would be a problem.

    ReplyDelete